Sunday 29 January 2017

Wedding Song

While one of my other blogs, Dear Diary 1952, drew to a natural conclusion at the end of December, over at Before the Streets Were Aired, my repository for old anonymous photos, things continue much the same as ever. 'Why do you get so obsessed with old photos?' I hear you ask. Here's a good example of why - an ancient photo album I picked up at a car boot sale, forgotten and unwanted. The first few pages are concerned with the marriage of a young couple. Here are two of my favourite shots from their wedding. I'd guess that we're talking the 1920's or early 1930's judging by the spats.



A splendid couple aren't they? The album continues with several photos of the bride and groom relaxing on a beach - their honeymoon perhaps? - before settling down to images from their day to day life as a young husband and wife. Inevitably, when looking through a collection of old photos, I wonder about what might have become of the people pictured. While looking through this particular album, a loose photo dropped out onto my lap and my question was instantly answered. It might be the loveliest one of the lot.


Whyte Horses - Wedding Song

10 comments:

C said...

As you know, I love these old photos you find and there is something captivating about all the unanswered questions and speculation they provoke. But it's especially nice to see that this part of the story has a happy ending! Love those '20s fashions too.

John Medd said...

You're pushing at an open door as far as I'm concerned. I love liberating these these lost treasures.

Rol said...

A happy ending. Good stuff.

Frank Jive said...

Pretty charming final image. . . .

Alyson said...

What a lovely set of photos - My recent PC issues have meant that I've rediscovered a lot of old stuff too and it's been a joy. Getting married in spats eh? Changed days. This couple would never in a million years have thought we'd be commenting on them in this way in 2017!

Swiss Adam said...

As they all said.

Brian said...

That was very touching, Swede.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Great pics and that is one top tune

Chris said...

Even though we don't know them, they look like a happy couple. I like the bells in the tune you shared. There was a folk song I was listening to recently by Anaïs Mitchell called Wedding Song, which is worth the time.

The Swede said...

Thanks for your kind words folks. My initial reason for posting these was to highlight the fact that February is going to be an exclusively colour photo month over at Before The Street Were Aired - but I forgot! Ah well, better late than never!

Greatest Hits